Tuesday, March 27, 2012

DC: New 52 Thoughts (Part 2)

Batman #1-2
Written by Scott Snyder and drawn by Greg Capullo, Batman is 2nd favorite New 52 book, Snyder knows how to write Batman and he's Bat-Family, every characterization is dead-on with great comradery, and Capullo's Batman can only be described as a perfect visual balance of Dark Knight and Cape Crusader. I'm loving this Court of Owls story, and new enemy in the form of Talon, both are new and don't seem like cheap throw away enemies we'll never see or hear from again, but looks to be a major threat that can stick around for great stories later. I have heard, and now I completely agree that this the best Batman book out of the four new titles, I highly recommend tracking down #1 and reading this book.

Batman Beyond Unlimited #1
Technically not a New 52 title, but it did just come out, I sadly missed the two previous Batman Beyond series, so I was glad I was able to get this new #1. An over 40 page book continuing were the previous Beyond series left off splits between a solo Batman adventure, and a team-up with the Justice League Unlimited is a fantastic read for fans of the original TV series cause as you read you hear the voices from the show in your head. Dustin Nguyen, who did the covers for the last two Batman Beyond series not only does interior work on the JLU story but also co-wrote it, he's art and Norm Breyfogle's art in the solo story both greatly blend animated stylization with comic detailing given this book a uniqueness among other books out now. 

Deathstroke #1
Deathstroke wasn't bad, but also wasn't great either, story is decent and the art isn't horrible. I don't know who design Slade's new armor though, I personally don't think the world's most bad ass martial arts expert mercenary would ware big clunky armor, I really miss he's old costume. I'm a huge fan of Deathstroke The Terminator, he's full title that I wish was the complete title of this book, and picked it up just cause it's he's book, and I can't wait to see Rob Liefeld's work when he takes over writing and drawing with issue 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment