Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Green Lantern: Rebirth Review

I've been reading and collecting the Green Lantern trade paperbacks since Rebirth, following Hal Jordan's story from he's resurrection to up right before the Blackest Night event, which I can now finally start reading. So I'm gonna start writing reviews for each the nine books leading up to Blackest Night, giving a quick synopsis of each along with my favorite parts of each. If you don't know any of the character's I'll be providing links to info of them.   

Green Lantern: Rebirth
I really liked the character of Hal Jordan before reading Rebirth, he was the Green Lantern I knew the most about and preferred him over John Stewart or Kyle Rayner, after reading Rebirth I freaking love Hal Jordan, and now can't get enough of stories with him in them. Hal Jordan become the villain Parallax in 1994 our time when I was 10 years old, and then died two years later in the Final Night mini-series re-igniting the Sun. Then in 1999 Hal came back now bonded with The Spectre, DC's Spirit of Vengeance but not back fully to life, so after 5 years as the Spectre writter Geoff Johns decided it time for Hal to return to life and once again become Green Lantern of Sector 2814. 

This story shows Kyle Rayner discovering that Parallax is an ancient parasite entity of fear, that took control of Hal when he was most afraid, when he's home town of Coast City was destroyed by Cyborg Superman and Mongul. While Hal is starting to get tired of dealing out vengeance as The Spectre, and what's to be hero again, with he's spirit conflicting with The Spectre gives Parallax, still within Hal's spirit but suppressed by the Spectre's power, the opportunity to once again take control of Hal and now have the power of the Spirit of Vengeance. All this setting the stage for retrieving Hal's body from the Sun, Guy Gardner becoming a Green Lantern once again, Hal's spirit back in he's body, the return of Sinestro, and imprisoning Parallax once again. 

What did I like about this book? EVERYTHING!, it was an epic read, I read it three times already. Magnificent story telling and art by Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver, a true most have for any Green Lantern fan. My most favorite part in the whole book is the fight with Sinestro, you can just feel the hatred and history between them as they battle each other. 

Hal Jordan: "He's lecturing me like always, but I can't hear him. Sinestro isn't close enough for my ring to translate. ...not yet."

Sinestro: "You took the oath too seriously!"
Hal:"You abandoned it!"  

More reviews coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment